Unconventional ways to curb this terrible “beast” without resorting to medicine
– Some people have to resort to various tricks to suppress appetite, from dubious pills to surgery, – says our resident expert, dietitian Lyudmila Denisenko. – Meanwhile, there are a lot of simple and at the same time unconventional ways to beat hunger. Apply at least some of these techniques every day to control yourself and the terrible beast – appetite.
- Just add water!
Very often we simply confuse hunger and thirst, because both hunger and thirst centers in the brain are located next to each other. Drink in small sips a glass of water at room temperature and wait 15-20 minutes. Did it help? That’s great! No? Try other options!
- Look in … the bathroom
– Many of my patients (by the way, I’m with them in solidarity, I often do so myself!), feeling the “after-hours” attack of hunger went into the bathroom – said Lyudmila Eduardovna.
The easiest way to get rid of hunger in the bathroom is to brush your teeth. The best solution is to use “thermo-nuclear” mint paste, after which you will not only not want to eat, but also any, even super tasty food will seem disgusting. And if you also clean your tongue, you can drown out your appetite for a long time!
But there is an even more radical way – take a shower, blow-dry your hair, do makeup, while watching yourself naked in the mirror. If your figure is almost perfect, the idea of “ruining” it with an after-hours bun seems sacrilegious, but if up to the ideal is still far away – even more so!
3. And then into the bedroom
Remember the popular phrase: “If you want to work – lie down, sleep, and everything will pass! The same can be said of hunger. Most often, inordinate appetite is noted in people who are banal lack of rest, a good night’s sleep for at least 8 hours or the opportunity to take a nap during the day.
Try to sleep for 20-30 minutes, a “quick” sleep will not only cheer you up, but also get rid of unnecessary thoughts about food.
Wake up, but still thinking about food? Let’s move on to the next point.
- Call your mother (friend, lover, whatever)!
Very often we confuse true hunger with emotional hunger.
– I tell my patients to distinguish between the two: true hunger is when you open the fridge and don’t care what you eat, even a cucumber or a sausage, and emotional hunger is when you stand in the middle of the kitchen and think: “I want a sweet ‘Bear in the North’ like the one Misha gave me in third grade, or the hot dog that Sasha and I had in Peter ten years ago…,” the expert prompts.
So, if you hit “emotional” hunger, pick up the phone, call someone with whom you can chat for at least 20 minutes, or turn on your computer and go to your favorite “weight loss” forum, there you will support, praise or scold, and you might forget about the candy and hot dog completely!
Did not help? Let’s go further, now for sure in the kitchen!
- We begin to eat… with your nose!
There are a lot of aromas that help reduce appetite. There are green apple, banana, lavender, rose, conifers (cypress, pine, juniper) and any citrus scents. As well as spicy aromas: anise, basil, cloves, ginger, laurel, cinnamon, coriander, marjoram, nutmeg, rosemary, celery, thyme. When you buy yourself a bottle of any of these aromatic oils at the drugstore, carry it with you and inhale it into both nostrils before each meal about 10 minutes before the meal.
Have you smelled it? Impressed? Not so much? Well, then it’s time for the refrigerator.
- Choose the “right” anti-hunger foods
All fruits are known to give a feeling of fullness due to the water, air and fiber they contain. Researchers advise to pay attention to apples. After eating these fruits, the hormone GLP-1 is produced, which sends signals to the brain, making it think that the person is full. If one medium-sized apple is eaten 15 minutes before the main meal, the amount of food at lunch will be reduced.
A red pepper has a similar effect. It is enough to eat half a teaspoon of ground pepper at lunch (not all at once, but with the meal!) to control your appetite. The secret is capsaicin, which gives peppers their pungency. It reduces hunger and stimulates energy at the same time.
Algae are the universal product, which allows to maintain a good figure. The Dutch specialists found out that if you add seaweed to your food or drinks, you can reduce your appetite up to 30%, which will allow you to stay full for a long time. As it turned out, reaching the stomach, the algae becomes a gel, which slows down the emptying of the stomach and imitates the effect of solid foods.
Experts have been talking about the positive effects of green tea for a long time. It contains catechins, a substance that causes the body to burn more calories. Drinking three to six cups of green tea a day can speed up energy expenditure by up to 40%. Plus, tea has a number of antioxidants that affect the appetite hormone leptin.
The proteins in eggs are of unusually high quality. It is these proteins that help control your appetite. For example, an omelet of two eggs for breakfast helps to consume fewer calories during the day.
And lemons have pectin, a natural soluble fiber and gelling agent. It “absorbs” the fat that comes with food and slows down the digestive process. As a result, a person feels satiated, even if he eats very little. American experts believe that citric acid and pectin slow down the absorption of sugar after consuming food. Vitamin C helps produce carnitine, which helps the body burn fat.
Israeli scientists advise to pay attention to garlic, which works thanks to allicin. It gives garlic its characteristic smell, stimulating the “satiety center” in the brain, reducing feelings of hunger. It also leads to a release of adrenaline, which activates the burning of calories.
But according to Scandinavian experts, cinnamon added to food leads to less insulin production. And insulin is known to turn excess sugar into fat. Cinnamon is particularly effective if it is consumed immediately after a meal.
Some blogs give the following advice: chew gum to curb your appetite. But our expert is categorically against it:
– But to the advice of the type “I want to eat – chew mint gum without sugar” should be treated with great doubt! Not only it is impossible to chew on an empty stomach – the body will think that you have begun to eat and will begin to produce hydrochloric acid, which in the absence of real food will “digest” the mucosa of your stomach, but mint has an unpleasant property of relaxing the pylorus of the stomach and the same acid will enter the esophagus, at the same time “digesting” its mucosa. That is a very close way to gastritis! But if after a meal you want a sweet dessert, chew sugarless chewing gum – you will definitely perehoete!